Saturday, September 13, 2008

Desert Island Disks (and Movies)

If you were stranded on a Desert Island and could only bring 5 albums with you, and they are the only albums you will ever listen to again - what would they be? If that isn't the most impossible decision to make, now you have to decide the 5 movies you would bring with you.

Ugh, I know. Most. Difficult. Decision. Ever.

1. Dreams to Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology - Otis Redding

Otis Redding is probably my favorite soul singer. Of course I also love Wilson Picket and the Four Tops. Oh man, this is going to be difficult. I am also going to admit that I have already cheated, because this album is 2 disks. Anyway, Otis Redding has the most soulful, sultry voice and I can listen to him sing all day and all night. It is just a terrible shame that he left this world all too soon.

2. Return to Cookie Mountain - TV on the Radio

TV on the Radio is an indie rock band from New York City that formed in 2001. Return to Cookie Mountain was released in 2006 and was critically acclaimed by many music magazines. I love, love, love this album and would very happily be stranded on a desert island with it.

3. From the Choirgirl Hotel - Tori Amos

I love everything Tori Amos, but this album was a real departure from her previous albums. It isn't just her and a piano. She toured and recorded with a band and adopted a new, less minimal sound. I saw her when she toured for this album and the show was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

4. Repeater + 3 Songs - Fugazi

Fugazi is a post-hardcore punk bank from Washington DC. The lead singer, Ian MacKaye had previously been in Minor Threat, an amazing punk band, who I also love. Repeater is Fugazi's debut full length album that was released in 1990. The band supported many different causes and movements and was reflected in their music.

5. Blue Screen Life - Pinback

Pinback is an indie rock band from San Diego. They are super artsy-fartsy and make beautiful thought provoking music. Blue Screen Life is their second album that was released in 2001. My absolute favorite song from this album is "Boo", but the record is best know for the song "Penelope" which is about the band's pet goldfish who died.

These decisions were truly painful to make, as I had to leave off sooooo many musicians and bands that I love and respect. Maybe I will make a second list, just in case I might be rescued from my desert island, but then tragically deserted once again.

I can't bring myself to also do my desert island movies today - you will have to just wait and see.

If you are as equally insane as I am and want to do your own desert island disks and movies, I would love to see your choices. Then I will probably cry that I didn't include your disks and movies on my list.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment